Watch the tapes Cassette Store Day 2016 announces releases from Courtney Barnett, Pixies & more
Yearly celebration takes place this October.
Courtney Barnett, Pixies and Fake Laugh have all signed up for this year’s Cassette Store Day, an annual celebration of the beloved, never-to-be-forgotten tape format.
The event started in 2013, thanks to tape labels Kissability, Sexbeat and Burger Records. 2016’s celebration will take place on 8th October at Clapton’s Lion + Coffee Records, with sibling events taking place in Germany’s Mansions And Millions/Späti Palace, VSI in Japan and France’s Balades Sonores.
Founder Jen Long says of this year’s event: “Every year around spring the emails and questions begin - will there be another Cassette Store Day? When will it happen? Can I put out a tape? For a supposedly dying format there’s still so much love and life for those little bits of plastic. I know come October there’ll be another special release list and days of celebration planned around the world. Vive le cassette! as our partners in France might say.”
Releases include Courtney Barnett’s ‘Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit’ and two EPs from bedroom pop crooner Fake Laugh.
Check below for the full list of participating releases.
- Pixies - Head Carrier (Pixies Music)
- Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit (Kissability)
- Gonjasufi - Callus (Warp)
- Fake Laugh - Ice EP + Great Ideas EP (self-released)
- Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - The Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager(POST/POP)
- Pile - First Other Tape (Fierce Panda Records)
- Soft Walls - Live From MT8X (Faux Discx)
- Various Artists - Gold Mold Records (Scottish Indie Sampler Vol. 2)
- Summer Moon - With You Tonight (Kissability)
- Bulbs of Held - Dendrite (Emerald and Doreen)
- Various Artists - Odd Numbers: Volume 1 (37 Adventures)
- Various Artists - Complex Channel Collective Volume 1 (Complex Channel)
- Various Artists - Hide and Psych (Blak Hand Records)
- -otron - doze on (n/a)
- Various Artists - On New Horizons Vol III (ZyNg tapes)
- Robert Heel - Naihehe (Etoka Records)
- Island Cassettes - Rainmaker (Indian Corn)
- Savage Mansion - Everyone to the Savage Mansion (Cool Your Jets)
- Orlando Ferguson - Sing, O Barren One! (wonkystuff)
- Let’s Kill Janice - Interference / Smile & Gesture (Gravy Train)
- ARE VANISHED - ARE VANISHED II (TAPEHEADS RECS)
- BIG ZERO - BIG ZERO’S ROCKIN’ GOOD TIME (TAPEHEADS RECS)
- THE LEVITY - HARD 2 MENTION (TAPEHEADS RECS)
- Casper heyzeus - Self help for the helpless self (Ice cream for crow)
- J.H. Guraj - Underrated Glances At The Edge Of Town (Maple Death Records)
- Stromboli - Volume Uno (Maple Death Records)
- Glitter Brains - Flippin’ Out On The Shiny (Jagged Skyline Records)
- Dead Biker Chicks/Wolves Have Mercy - Dead Biker Chicks/Wolves Have Mercy Split (Jagged Skyline Records)
- Various Artists / Visual Deception Unit - incognito mixtape (four three six)
- The Bibles of Twang - Magicada (Jagged Skyline Records)
- Honey Moon - Best In Town (Sad Club Records)
- Various Artists - THE HLT PLAN: 22ND STEP (Hi-Lo Tunez)
- Embla Quickbeam & Graham Dunning - Inside Memory’s Head (Third Kind Records)
- Hattie Cooke - Hattie Cooke (Third Kind Records)
- Onetwothreefaw - Fast and Trouble (Winter Beach)
Courtney Barnett unveils video for ‘If I Don’t Hear From You Tonight’
It comes ahead of the release of her new album 'Things Take Time, Take Time'.
Steady As She Goes: Courtney Barnett
A slower pace and more than a little self-reflection paved the way for ‘Things Take Time, Take Time’: a third album that finds Courtney Barnett shedding the cynicism and making room for joy.
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
As close to a record born of isolation as you’re bound to hear.
Courtney Barnett is the cover star of DIY’s November 2021 issue
Our new issue - which also features Years & Years, IDLES, Amber Mark & more - is out now!