Third Man Records has announced a whole plethora of White Stripes releases as the eighth instalment of their subscription service The Vault - including a live recording of the band's final gig.
The July 31st 2007 show, which took place in Southaven, Mississippi will be released on two 180-gram 12' LPs and titled, helpfully, 'Live In Mississippi'.
Other new releases include a 7' single featuring two of the White Stripes earliest recordings; covers of Love's 'Signed DC' and Otis Redding's 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' both recorded in September 1997, only two months after the band's live debut. “Although their debut single ‘Let’s Shake Hands’ wouldn’t be released for another eight months,' Third Man Explains, 'this recording shows how fully-formed the general idea, aesthetic and approach of the White Stripes was from the very start.”
A DVD, 'Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night' is also planned, featuring footage from the bands June 13th 2000 show at Ralph's Corner Bar in Moorhead, Minnesota. The first performance post the release of De Stijl, it features a cover of Iggy Pop's 'I'm Bored'.
The tracklistings for the live album and DVD read:
Live in Mississippi Tracklist:
01. Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson)
02. Let’s Build a Home
03. When I Hear My Name
04. Icky Thump
05. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground/As Ugly As I Seem
06. The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
07. Wasting My Time
08. Phonograph Blues (Robert Johnson)
09. Cannon/John the Revelator (Traditional)
10. Death Letter (Son House)
12. Apple Blossom
13. You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Do As You’re Told)
14. In the Cold, Cold Night
15. I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother’s Heart
16. Hotel Yorba
17. A Martyr For My Love For You
18. Ball and Biscuit
19. 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
20. Blue Orchid
21. I’m Slowly Turning Into You
22. Boll Weevil
Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night Tracklist:
01. Let’s Shake Hands
03. Wasting My Time
04. Jolene (Dolly Parton)
05. Little Bird
06. Apple Blossom
07. You’re Pretty Good Looking (for a Girl)
08. Your Southern Can is Mine (Blind Willie McTell)
09. Suger Never Tasted So Good
10. Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise
11. I’m Bored (Iggy Pop)
12. Cannon/John the Revelator (Traditional)
It’s almost as if we’re primed to rediscover the band all over again.
Indie dreams do come true.
Dunnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun… With their fourth LP and THAT massive hit, Jack and Meg cemented their place in musical history forever. Welcome, ‘Elephant’, to the DIY Hall of Fame.
It’s the latest in Third Man Records’ subscription series.